Tuesday, January 20, 2009

RSV....

Today was a long day. I got up very early this morning(mainly because I was VERY lazy yesterday) to get my house cleaned up. Because I am watching my nephew this week. Who was diagnosed with RSV yesterday. It amazed me how many people do not know what RSV is... Its very common in kids... Just normally  it does not get severe enough that yours going hmmm I may need to take my kid to the doc!

SO heres a little RSV education.. Pencils ready???

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)(info from-- http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/lung/rsv.html )

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a major cause of respiratory illness in young children. RSV causes infection of the lungs and breathing passages. In adults, it may only produce symptoms of a common cold, such as a stuffy or runny nose, sore throat, mild headache, cough, fever, and a general feeling of being ill. But RSV infections can lead to other more serious illnesses in premature babies and kids with diseases that affect the lungs, heart, or immune system.

RSV is highly contagious, and can be spread through droplets containing the virus when a person coughs or sneezes. The virus can also live on surfaces such as countertops or doorknobs, and on hands and clothing. RSV can be easily spread when a person touches an object or surface contaminated with the virus. The infection can spread rapidly through schools and child-care centers. Infants often get it when older kids carry the virus home from school and pass it to them. Almost all kids are infected with RSV at least once by the time they are 2 years old.

Now while this sounds very scary. And believe me I have been told MANY times today how crazy I was to take a kid whos highly contagious into my home with my 2 kids.....So I called the doctor and asked the same question... AM I CRAZY? Well(ok so I can seem to be a lil bit crazy) But on this Im not. Like I said to lots of people who said it.. My kids are 6 years old and 9 years old. And older than the norm ages for this virus. Even if my 6 year olds lungs dont work the greatest he is not at risk either. My kids MIGHT get a stuffy nose out of this.(WahH they live with allergies and are qute used to it) So if you have babies, yes you need to watch out for it. BUT those older kids are mostly fine.

If you are worried or have any questions about any illness or anything DO NOT hesitate to call your doctor. Just like I did this morning to check if it was safe for my kids.

No comments: